Type your MOC/MOS or military title in the field below to search for jobs using our Military-to Civilian-Occupation Translator.
Ross Stores, Inc. Buyer, Ready To Wear in New York, New York
BUYER, WOMEN'S APPAREL
About Ross Stores:
Ross Stores, Inc. is an S&P 500, Fortune 500 and Nasdaq 100 (ROST) Company headquartered in Dublin, California, with fiscal 2018 revenues of $15 billion. The Company operates Ross Dress for Less® (“Ross”), the largest off-price apparel and home fashion chain in the United States with 1,480 locations in 38 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. The Company also operates over 230 dd’s DISCOUNTS® locations in 18 states that feature a more moderately-priced assortment of first-quality, in-season, name brand apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings.
The company’s merchandise mix and assortments are constantly evolving as merchants and planners focus on what customers want to buy and respond by delivering great discounts on a wider variety of name brand merchandise. With its solid management team, proven off-price concept, strong cash flow and return on equity, Ross is ideally positioned to successfully execute its growth strategies.
At Ross you will find:
- A career that fits you
- Amazing culture and people
- Big company with a family feeling
- Customer focus
Are you ready for the next big move in your career? We look forward to hearing from you!
The culture demands hands-on, close engagement at all levels, and the ability to think and act strategically. Within this culture, there are many opportunities to attain and even exceed personal goals quickly while partnering with professionals across multiple categories. This creates a win-win culture with a rigorous standard of performance for everyone.
Structured for growth and profitability, individuals are measured on performance rather than process. What this yields is an environment that is invigorating and offers a clear, compelling reward system for the team.
Additional information is available at:
About this job:
The Women's Apparel Buyer will be responsible for managing their specific product division which includes the selection, purchase and delivery of merchandise which adheres to the merchandise philosophy of quality, price, fashion and brand.
- Manages opportunistic buying responsibility (based on vendors or classifications) and accountability for sales and margin performance.
- Manages receipts in terms of balancing assortments and flexing from flow versus packaway.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility in negotiating for packaway goods to offset additional costs of storing merchandise (e.g. additional dating, vendors holding merchandise etc.).
- Provides on-going analysis and interpretation of key business issues. This includes monitoring regional merchandise reports (i.e., Cold & Warm Store Strategies), Open-to-Buy monitoring, stock analysis and other ad hoc analysis.
- Proactively networks with vendors regarding available merchandise and will negotiate directly on purchases. This includes frequent visits to showrooms, selecting product and handling negotiations, either independently or in conjunction with their supervisor.
- Shops all competing and Ross/dd’s stores to identify opportunities, trends and labels.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Requires a minimum of 4 – 6 years retail merchandising buying experience.
- Must have extensive vendor negotiation and interaction.
- Experience with close-out or opportunistic buying preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of merchandising and technical aspects of merchandising (e.g., fabric, design, silhouettes, etc.).
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Recent experience in product categories.
- Ability to partner and influence vendors/cross-functional partners.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong retail math skills.
- Strong PC skills, with an emphasis on spreadsheet applications.